Auto shop

Killeen car shop fire started by mechanic | Local News

Employees pushed a burning vehicle out of a local Killeen auto shop on Thursday morning, saving the structure from a fiery demise, after sparks flew as a mechanic worked on a vehicle, firefighters said Thursday at the Herald.

At 9:49 a.m., the Killeen Fire Department responded to a fire on the freeway. 195 used auto parts in the 12000 block of Texas Highway 195, KFD Battalion Chief Trent Parker said Thursday.

The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes of the initial call, Parker said.

A mechanic’s error on Thursday morning started the fire, he said.

“It was a car fire that started when the mechanic did a poor technique when draining fuel,” Parker said. “He drilled it instead of tapping it. He ignited the gasoline and caught the rest of the car on fire. Fortunately, they were able to push the car out of the building before it caught fire.

Four KFD fire engines responded to the blaze.

“We sent such a heavy response because at the time of dispatch the car was on fire inside the building,” he said. “On a building fire, especially a commercial building, we’re going to have a heavy response like that.”

Parker said people should be careful when working with gasoline.

“Being careful around gasoline or flammable liquids is always a priority and should be a concern when working on cars,” he said.

Thursday morning’s fire caused no injuries.