Auto shop

George Hughes missing: Body found in car shop owned by Marple Township man, police say

The body of a man was found Wednesday on the property of a business owned by a Delaware County man who has been missing for more than a week, Marple Township Police said.

The body was found at Broomall Auto Body on Media Line Road. The business is owned by George Hughes, the 57-year-old whose family reported him missing after he was last seen on May 16.

“Currently, investigators are unable to confirm the identity of the man. However, the clothing closely resembles that described to police at the time of the disappearance of George Hughes, Jr. of Broomall,” police said. said Wednesday.

An autopsy will be performed to confirm the man’s identity and cause of death, authorities said.

Facebook page Help Find George Hughes, which had posted updates on the search effort, shared a Publish Wednesday afternoon in response to the Marple Township Police statement.

“The Hughes family would like to thank everyone for their love, prayers and help in the search,” the page reads.

Hughes was last seen outside the Fine Wine & Good Spirits store at Edgemont Square Shopping Center in Newtown Township on May 16. He had left his business around 11 a.m. and was in the liquor store area between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., his family said.

Hughes’ sister Debbie O’Connor said FOX29 that her brother had had a falling out with a family member and had been dealing with a recent death in the family.

“It’s not his hallmark. He’s never taken off like this before and we don’t understand what happened,” O’Connor said. “He has a ton of friends, a ton of people who love him.”

Kevin Ryan, a private missing persons investigator who has worked on a number of high-profile cases in the area, had told the Marple Newtown crest that Hughes left his car with the body shop.

On Sunday, Ryan led a team of about 60 volunteers to search for Hughes at Ridley Creek State Park and Edgemont Square Mall. They were unable to locate Hughes.

Family members said they were worried because Hughes didn’t have his daily medication. He reportedly struggled to get his business back up and running after setbacks during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Marple Police will continue to investigate the incident and provide further information at a later date, officials said.